Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What Decade Were You Supposed to Live in?



Today I did this. It was a complete accident, and as you may be able to see by the drawer next to it, this is not how our drawers are supposed to look. However, after fighting 5:00 traffic to drive 12 miles in 30 minutes, I walked into a house where the dishes were piled up and I stepped in cat throw up. As I began to empty the dishwasher, I jerked on the drawer and....well the rest is in the picure. Don't say I wasn't warned. Mike told me several times not to tug on the drawers because it looked like they had been glued together. (If you look closely they really have. At least we know how to fix it.) Anyway, as I began to fix dinner and think about how I wished someone was there to fix it for me, I also began to question my quiet desire to live in the 1950's.

For some reason, I have always thought the '50s would be a lovely little era to live in. Forget Communism scares, no women's rights and the fact that people dealt with anxiety through alcohol rather than doctors - I pictured myself in a little apron making cookies in a cute little yellow (why??) house. I actually told Mike this one time and he told me, "You hate everything the '50's stand for. You would be horrible in the '50's!" Which is actually true. I hate to clean. I don't know how to bake (although you wouldn't know it with all the baking stuff I registered for and received.) And I really like working. So...what led me to believe this would be a great place to live? Of course the movies. (And also Desperate Housewives a little bit.)

So, I took this totally accurate quiz on Facebook that is supposed to tell you what era you would fit best in. Mine came up as the 1970s. I started laughing, but then I thought, I think I could maybe see myself there. It doesn't seem that different from today. Obviously there have been major changes in society since then, but it seems like less of a rigid community than the '50s. There were major issues that were being fought for politically, but I think people's eyes were open to change. Besides, look at us now - major political issues that are going to be life changing for generations to come.

All in all, I think I am pretty happy with the decade I am living in. I appreciate the fact that Mike felt masculine enough to ask whether I wanted him to chop up peppers tonight. (He asked...he didn't actually ever cut them though....) I appreciate the fact that I have the option to leave in the morning and show that my brain holds something besides recipes. SIDEBAR:[Before I get hate mail - I love stay at home mothers and do not think that their only talent is memorizing recipes. In fact, I would love to have that luxury one day.] And I appreciate the fact that I can come home, rip off the front of a drawer and know I won't be knocked to the floor by an angry, drunk 1950's husband. In fact, my 2010 husband and I kinda laughed about it, after I kicked it around for falling on my toe.

Sorry - I recognize this is kind of all over the place but the thoughts I wanted to talk about weren't connecting as well as I thought they would. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment